Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A tool for the trade or a bane of our existence?

While browsing the sell forums on the eve main site I came across an intresting post about a guy who is able to compile lists of people in alliance and corps via the API server.

The original post can be found here
 http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1555452

After reading a little more into this, it seems Kronus uses data mining techniques to farm user ids for the chars and compiles them into a list.  So I thought to my self this could be a usefull tool in which SIG could exploit in order to increase the speed at which we can help some of our clients.

I decide to investigate a bit further. Upon clicking his link I am led to a login site asking for my email address.  Now if you rember a few posts ago about my email account getting hacked. I said no thank you.  I will do things the longer harder way.

Kronus Claims he is able to identify 90% of all members in any corp or alliance.  He can do this in a matter of seconds by drawing from the API server.  My work takes days sometimes weeks but when I am done there is a complete list of members activity levels how many are alts and what ships they fly. 

Although Kronus's service is fast and possibly user friendly I will not be using it as I am no longer giving my email addresses out to any EvE related sites. But for the CEO involved in a current highsec war, who does not have or will not engadge in espionage this service could be worth its wieght in gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment